Sunday 3 December 2017

30 Weeks Pregnant

Friday was a busy day for me (actually the start of a busy weekend, in fact). My cousin flew into Glasgow with her kids, the youngest of whom is 15 months old and I'd never met before, so we arranged to meet up with them to have a catch up and some retail therapy.

I'm still (still!) suffering from insomnia. On a good week I'll sleep through the night maybe once or twice. The rest of the time I'll be awake anywhere between 12/1am and 4/5am. And it'll be wide awake time, usually with a couple of little dips where you feel like you might nod off, but somehow never quite get there.

Thursday night/Friday morning was one of those ones. The alarm was set for 6am and I was awake from 3am! Somewhere around 5am I realised sleeping just wasn't going to happen and gave it up completely.

Luckily I did have a snooze on the train on the way into Glasgow. My loving husband helpfully took a photo of us both to share on Facebook!


It was much needed though and gave me the energy I needed to get through the day.

I was hyper aware of the fact that I'm still getting blood pressure/blood sugar drops. I've had a couple of moments in the last week where I suddenly feel incredibly tired, then my arms and legs get heavy, I get a sort of tunnel vision sensation (not sparkles like high blood pressure but just a general sense of not being able to focus properly), nausea and a feeling like I'm about to pass out. It seems to happen when I'm being very busy or rushing around and haven't eaten for a while.

I had one earlier in the week on Wednesday after feeling pretty uncomfortable all day. It felt like Bo was trying to dislocate my right hip from the inside (we know how much he hates my right leg, clearly he wanted rid of it). I was stretched and achy and generally felt sore.

I was also supposed to be decorating the Christmas tree in our room but I just couldn't summon up the energy to stand up. At one point I gave myself a little pep talk in the loos because I knew if I had a funny turn people would be concerned and make a fuss and I really didn't want that. So I, foolishly, said nothing, even though everyone kept asking me if I was okay (clearly I wasn't looking my best either).

When we got home I had a bunch of things to unpack while Mr Click did the washing up, then we headed up for a shower. In hindsight I should have had something sugary and a sit down because by the time I got to the top of the stairs I felt all swimmy. A couple of minutes later I was having a full on puking session.

Lesson learned. Eat more sugar and tell your colleagues when you're feeling like crap and should probably go home early.

For our trip to Glasgow I took precautions. Regular breaks, agreeing to taxi rides when necessary and I carried a pack of sugary sweets with me for an instant energy burst when needed.

It did the trick and I only had two dips in my blood sugar which were resolved with a hot chocolate and three fizzy laces, respectively. I think because I'm aware of what causes them now, I'm better able to handle them when I feel they're coming on and can nip them in the bud when I start to feel tired or heavy, and before I get to the 'oh crap, I'm about to pass out' phase.

There was a lot of sitting around chatting in Glasgow, which was just what I needed. But we got some shopping in too.

I managed to pick up some prizes for a Christmas thing we're doing at work that I've been organising (also a possible culprit for Wednesday's funny turn, I've been crazy busy getting things organised for two different projects, plus my actual work). And we visited the Christmas Market where I picked up this year's snowflake ornament for our tree:


It was at a stall with lots of sparkly jewellery but it caught my eye and I just knew it was the right one for our tree this year.

Tiring though the day was, it was lovely to have a catch up with family (who I'd not seen for three years!) and compare notes on baby bumps.

My cousin thinks I've got a very compact baby bump and looking at it, I'm inclined to agree. It's all in front and, since he's not dropped yet, still pretty high. Mr Click had said that from behind I don't really look particularly pregnant, though I've not had him take any photos as evidence of that.


In hindsight standing in front of the red wall whilst wearing a red top for this photo was a bad idea. I sort of blend in, but there's definitely no denying that bump now.

My t-shirt says 'Baby Bump's First Christmas' because I wanted people to know that's a baby in there rather than too many mince pies while I'm Christmas shopping. But I truly have to admit that I highly doubt people would have thought anything other than baby when they saw my belly!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. :-)