Thursday 18 May 2017

Dodgy Unicorn

Do you remember a few weeks ago I shared this picture?


The pattern was a wee bit complicated for such a small project and when I reached this point and realised I was supposed to snip through my knitting, unravel it and pick up some stitched that would then be hanging loose, so I promptly stuck it in a bag and put it in time out until I was ready to tackle it.

On Bank Holiday Monday I decided that the time had come to get it finished. So I spent much of my afternoon stuffing and sewing and sorting out the mane.


I wound up not bothering with the fiddly cutting and picking up of stitches. Instead I went for the equally fiddly, but slightly less nerve-wracking, option of casting on the head separately and then sewing it on where I should have picked up the stitches to knit it. It made getting the eyes on a little tricky since there was a blue knitted strip in the way, but otherwise I think it turned out okay.

I also didn't bother stuffing the legs, since they were pretty stable once they were sewn up. The mane could've been a little neater but by the time I got to that bit I was ready to be done with it.

It's ever-so-slightly wonky. The horn has a touch of a curl to it, which I actually quite like, but there's something about the shape of its face and the placement of its eyes, and those massive ears, which makes me think of my little wonky Dodger rat.

I don't think I'll be repeating this patter again, but I might try adapting it into a slightly simpler version because I know of a fair few ladies who would appreciate a little unicorn paying them a visit.

11 comments:

  1. very cute :) It looks really fiddly, but I like his curly horn.
    I've just finished an aran jumper for an egg!! A friend wanted one lol Not sure I could cope with knitting a unicorn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :-)

      I love the idea of an aran jumper for an egg. I hope the egg is nice and cosy!

      Delete
  2. You're right, it does look a bit like a rat. Cute.

    Just yesterday I saw a pattern for a unicorn gift card holder. Crocheted. (Do you crochet?) It's here: http://www.1dogwoof.com/crochet-unicorn-gift-card-holder/

    I've been enjoying the unicorn boom, but I haven't found the right project yet. I think this might be it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :-)

      I do crochet... vaguely... and badly... not well enough to actually complete anything yet. I love that unicorn gift card holder. I hope I get to see one on your blog in the future!

      Delete
  3. This is super cute! I like how it's a little off hehe.

    And I don't come over near enough to comment on your posts - I'm sorry! I do read them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thanks for stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  4. This is super cute! It makes me wish my hands could handle knitting, but I'll settle for appreciating projects other people bring to life.
    Jean Davis, Writer of Speculative Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't knit - I do crochet. Right now I'm trying to work on a giraffe. I don't do that well with stuffed animals, but a unicorn sounds like a nice, colorful challenge (I'm going to check out Liz's pattern link).

    ReplyDelete
  6. A unicorn - a benevolent creature - my projects never quite look like what is intended, either but no worries there. (And no, I don't think it looks like a rat - at least the rats I saw growing up in New York City).

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. :-)