Tuesday 27 December 2016

Books 9 & 10 of 2016: OMG by God (with David Javerbaum) & Deja Dead by Kathy Reichs

I decided to go with a funny book after Undercover so I grabbed one from my Kindle which I've had on there for ages. It's called OMG by God (with some help from David Javerbaum).


This was a Kindle freebie sampler for the longer book The Last Testament. It's supposed to be God's own story about how He did the things in the Bible.

I don't know just how many pages this book had but it couldn't have been many. I was done with it within about half an hour. I actually found myself wishing it had been longer. It's based on God Twitter account so I'm guessing you could follow along there for a daily dose of funny.

It was definitely my sort of humour. If I saw the longer book I'd be inclined to pick it up because there's something about it which appeals to me.

I'm always impressed by good parodies because in order to parody something effectively you have to kind of have a handle on just whatever it is that you're parodying. This did it well, right down to the Chapters and Verses which was a good touch.

It was after reading this that I decided I'd keep an eye out for more funny little samplers on my Kindle; normally I want the whole book or not at all. It'd whet my appetite for the longer versions but also because this sort of thing is a nice pick me up for a chilly spring morning!

I followed this up with something which was the complete opposite of a quick, funny read; Deja Dead by Kathy Reichs.


This is the first book in the Tempe Brennan series. It introduces the forensic anthropologist in her role in Montreal where she works for the medico-legal lab in their work solving crimes. In this she works a case which involves someone who is murdering young women and which places herself, her daughter and her best friend in danger.

It felt like it took forever to get through this one. In reality it was only 13 days but considering the first time I read these books I devoured the first three books in almost as many days. To be fair, I was travelling a five hour commute each day so I had a lot more time for reading then than now, but I still felt like I was moving so slowly on this book.

Normally I think I go slower on these crime book rereads because I'm familiar with the story and I know who did it. Usually that takes away the regular sense of urgency. This time around I was struggling to actually remember what happened and who did it, so I can't blame that for my speed. I enjoyed this read, perhaps because I couldn't really remember who the killer was.

One thing which did really stick out on this go through was the way that certain things are explained. This was published way back in 1998 when email wasn't quite so ubiquitous as it is now, so that's just one of the things which gets a detailed explanation, along with other things like picture editing software and modems.

I wouldn't say it bugs me, because it's just down to when the book was written, but it's sort of interesting to see it there in the middle of the story. I guess the biggest problem with it is that it so obviously dates it, rather than just saying 'I opened my email' and letting the reader figure out what that is on their own time so they can move on to the real events of the story.

I think that's something which is only going to get worse with time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. :-)