Monday 20 April 2015

Rat Tails: Dinner and a Movie

Looking for my A to Z Challenge post for today? It’s here.

It occurred to me the other day that I’ve not shared much about my pets recently. Tara did get a mention during my Weekly Rundown post roughly a month ago, when we got absolutely drenched on our morning walk, along with a very cute photo of her looking soggy. But my ratbags are relatively unmentioned here on the blog.


Both Yoda and Wicket have grown into massive rats in the (almost) year we’ve had them. They were a little bit older when we got them than most of my previous rats and so I always think of them being bigger rats, but it still comes as a bit of a shock when I think back on how small they were compared to now.

Wicket especially is a great big chunk. He’s got a bit of a belly but he’s all solid. He does like his food. Another thing Wicket likes, apparently, is musicals.


It’s a bit of an Easter tradition for me to watch The Sound of Music and this year, after picking up Bluebell (our new car in case you missed that one), we got the boys out and watched it.

Wicket was very impressed with it, during the songs he was virtually glued to the bars of the cage closest to the screen. The photos above were taken during ‘So Long, Farewell’, though he was also quite interested in ‘The Lonely Goatherd’. Yoda, on the other hand, was more interested in ‘Edelweiss’.

When they come downstairs, Wicket likes to hang out in the small cage, occasionally popping out for a wander or to see what Yoda is getting up to. He’s very skittish of sudden movements or loud noises. Yoda is my fearless ratty. From the minute we open the cage downstairs, Yoda will trundle out and explore his surroundings. If he’s on my chair he has this habit of curling up on the top of the cushion at my back. It’s about an inch and a half wide and each time he does it I worry that I’ll forget he’s there and squash him at some point.

If the small cage is on the coffee table then Yoda expects to be allowed to wander all over Mr Click and the sofa. On the sofa he likes to curl up on the cushion where Tara would normally sleep. It’s very cute.

What’s also kind of cute is the fact that he sees it as his duty to make sure our plates are clean:


We obviously share out meals with our rats and if we’ve had something with a sauce, Yoda will try a bit. In the picture above it was sweet and sour sauce.


I shall try and share some of their antics and photos a little more frequently in the future.

4 comments:

  1. Um, freaking out here! Don't think I could ever love a rat - but this one is funny. Liking the Sound of Music indeed. Whatever next?
    Anabel's Travel Blog
    Adventures of a retired librarian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do make good pets, like little puppy dogs in a way. But lots of people don't like the tails. ;-)

      Wicket is something a little bit special, hehe.

      Delete
  2. Musical rats? You'll have to tell us how they like Ratatouille.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did watch Ratatouille recently and the dog was really interested in it. The rats fell asleep though.

      Delete

Let me know what you think. :-)