Sunday 4 January 2015

Weekly Rundown: Reading Challenge

The other week I posted about starting the PopSugar Reading Challenge. Well I found a group on Goodreads specifically for the challenge and ever since about ten past twelve on Thursday I've been getting stuck in.

The Reading Challenge group is working through the list of books in the order that they appear on the list, so rather than jumping around or trying to get certain books to count for several targets, I've got a list of fifty-two books to get through this year. I managed 64 last year so I'm thinking this should be attainable.

Image taken from here.
I've kick started my year's reading with Emma by Jane Austen, as a book that has more than 500 pages. I've got less than a hundred pages to go and I'm really enjoying it. Also I figured out who Emma was going to fall in love with about a hundred pages back. I'm such a shipper, I'm now on tenterhooks to see if she actually ends up with him!

The next book on the list is a classic romance, so I'm sticking with the Jane Austen theme and I've selected Pride and Prejudice, which I'll follow with The Book Thief for my book made into a movie. I've got quite a few books on my list already selected, though obviously I'm open to changing my mind and switching some around. It also means that I will be facing my biggest nemesis at the end of the year, one of the only books I've ever left unfinished; The Great Gatsby. We'll have to see how that goes!

In other news, I'm frantically trying to get blog posts written for my time away this month. Don't be alarmed if posts are somewhat thin on the ground. It just means I didn't get everything done as I intended. I've got a fair few scheduled already, but I think I'll be spreading out the Chapter-by-Chapter posts to help make them last. I hate the thought of having a day without a blog post.

I'm also rapidly coming to realise that 2015 will be the year of the new laptop. Mine is really starting to show her age. She's getting all slow and having hot flushes and seems to spend an awful lot of time thinking about things. I mentioned in my resolutions that I was going to set money aside in my savings account each week. Well, I suspect that that's what the funds will go towards.

So think happy thoughts for my laptop and happy thoughts for my ability to plough through my giant list of reading material!

2 comments:

  1. I've seen a lot of people talking about reading challenges this year, more than any other year it seems. I haven't signed up for any of them because I never know when I'll have time to read even though I think I read about 200 books last year. I have already started keeping track of the books I'm reading this year for a post on my blog at the end of the year. I hope to make it to at least 200 books this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there seem to be a lot of them this year. I'm really enjoying the one I'm taking part in.

      Good luck getting to 200 books. That's impressive. I've managed 145-ish a few years back, but recently I've been reading a lot less.

      Delete

Let me know what you think. :-)