Monday 8 December 2014

Christmas Guest Blogger: Melissa @ My Creatively Random Life

Last week we had our first ever guest blogger here at Click’s Clan. This week we’re welcoming Melissa from My Creatively Random Life. Over to you Melissa!

Hi, I'm Melissa and I blog over at My Creatively Random Life which is a lovely jumble of all the thoughts that go on in my head at any given time.  I jumped at the chance to stop by and talk about Christmas because I am wacky about holidays.  


1. Let’s start at the beginning. What’s your earliest memory of Christmas?


My first solid memory of Christmas is from when I was five, the year my mom was pregnant with my sister.  We had moved to a new house not long before and everything was revolving around getting ready for the new baby so I felt very left out.  

2. Do you or your family have any special Christmas traditions? Are there any that you’d like to start in the future?


With our extended family we have a girls night the week before Christmas, everyone brings a gift and we make a game out of exchanging them.  It's a blast and the younger cousins look forward to being old enough to come.  

Within the house we just make it a habit to sit down and decompress on Christmas Eve.  We order Chinese food and binge watch something (usually Doctor Who) just to enjoy each others company.  I am trying to instill in the kids that it's about family and spending time together and not all about what they can get.  


3. When do the decorations go up in your house? When do you take them down?

My sister comes over and puts up the decorations with the kids a couple weeks before Christmas.  It is there special time together and she goes pretty insane with the decorating.  I will come home from work one day and Bam! Christmas will have exploded in my house.

The decorations come down New Years day.



4. You’re sitting down to Christmas dinner, what’s on your plate?


It depends on how many people are coming but traditionally we have a turkey, ham and all the trimmings.  With my mom's lemon pie to round it off.  The last couple years we have only had ham because it's only been 4 of us and the kids and that's not enough people to cook a turkey for so close to Thanksgiving.

5. How about some favourites? What’s your all-time favourite Christmas song?

I absolutely love Silent Night.  Possibly because it's the only Christmas song I know all the words to.  

Silent night, holy night!
All is calm, all is bright.
Round yon Virgin, Mother and Child.
Holy infant so tender and mild,
Sleep in heavenly peace,
Sleep in heavenly peace
Silent night, holy night!
Shepherds quake at the sight.
Glories stream from heaven afar
Heavenly hosts sing Alleluia,
Christ the Savior is born!
Christ the Savior is born
Silent night, holy night!
Son of God love's pure light.
Radiant beams from Thy holy face
With dawn of redeeming grace,
Jesus Lord, at Thy birth
Jesus Lord, at Thy birth


I also love Jingle Bell Rock. 

6. It’s not Christmas until you’ve watched which film?


Heidi.  I love Heidi.


7. Do you have a favourite book to read at Christmastime?


I love the Velveteen Rabbit, not really a Christmas book according to my kids but it feels Christmassy to me.

[Click: I say if it helps you get in the Christmas spirit then it's a Christmas book!]

8. You can spend this Christmas anywhere, anytime, with any person. Describe it.


I would like to spend another Christmas with my grandmother, she passed away 15 days before Christmas in 1997 and I would give anything to have another Christmas with her now.  

9. Dear Santa, this Christmas I would like…

Time for myself.  I know that's a bit selfish but for Christmas I would like a few hours of uninterrupted Video game playing.  

Thanks for visiting, Melissa. Don't forget to stop by My Creatively Random Life to say hi.

2 comments:

  1. I love that someone else comes over to your house and puts up the decorations. I really should get my daughter to put up mine. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's definitely a bit of a time saver. I wonder if I could volunteer myself out as a professional Christmas decorator!

      Delete

Let me know what you think. :-)