Sunday 23 November 2014

Weekly Rundown: This may have been a mistake...

Last week I posted about how I had technically completed NaNoWriMo and was tentatively upping my word count goal to 100,000 words. I’ve done it before, this time couldn’t be that much different, could it? Really?

I suspect I may have been wrong. At the time of typing this I’ve broken the 76,000 word barrier, which I think we can all agree is an impressive achievement in itself. In order to reach the target of 100,000 words I need to write 3,000 per day and most days I’ve been managing just over 2,000.
I’m beginning to have doubts.

I've also managed to write myself into a bit of a corner since Grandma Wiltshire put a spell on her granddaughters and then promptly died. In my head she was just going to get sick and go to hospital but instead she passed away leaving the girls to figure out how to get out of their predicament by themselves. Grandma Wiltshire is still hanging around as a ghost, but she won't be there for long and I have no idea how the girls are supposed to break the spell. It's going to be an interesting final week of NaNo figuring it all out!

While writing this post I also validated my word count. I'm still adding to it, but I did hit the 50,000 word mark back during the second week so I've got my winner certificate and other goodies. That's hopefully the burst that I need to complete this thing. Hopefully.

Stats as of 11am, today.
It also suddenly occurred to me, after I got in on Saturday, that I’m not going to be around to upload posts for next week. I’ve been merrily thinking that having a busy Saturday this week wouldn’t be a problem because I could get plenty of blog posts written next Saturday. Except I’m off to Edinburgh next weekend.

So I might have Saturday free to write blog posts, but I’m definitely not going to be around to upload them. Oops.

I have been pretty organised about the first of my guest blog posts which will go live Monday after next. That's scheduled to go up, the Chapter-by-Chapter posts are less pressing, we can draw those out through the month, so I won't be doing afternoon posts for the next couple of weeks. The Chapter-by-Chapter posts will be going up just once a day this Friday and the next, then I should be able to get caught up properly and go back to normal. My main target is to write as much NaNo as I can and make sure that I have something to post each day.

Speaking of the guest blogging posts, the first of those will be up on the 1st of December (featuring Mark from So It Goes) with the other following weekly, with a bonus post on the 18th.

When I’ve not been powering my way through my second NaNo story, which like the first one is not going to plan (one of my characters who was supposed to get ill and end up in hospital but instead died on me but is still hanging around as a ghost) I’ve been reading. I finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, read a short story/sampler of a Christmassy story on my Kindle, and now I’m reading The Bromeliad by Terry Pratchett.

The Bromeliad is the trilogy of Truckers, Diggers and Wings and I thought it would take me forever to get through, but it’s proving to be quite the quick read, not least because I’m finding it very difficult to put down. I’m going to need to start on The Hobbit soon if I’m going to get it read before I go and see the film (whenever that ends up being).

We’re still watching Christmas films too. We started the week with White Christmas and then ended it with that steaming turd of a Christmas film, Home Alone 4. It is truly awful, though I was more in the mood for it on a Friday night and it didn’t annoy me anywhere near as much as it usually does.

We spent the afternoon yesterday watching Disney Christmas cartoons and animations. Those were film numbers eight, nine and ten of the thirty-three on our list this year. Hopefully powering through them this quickly will mean we might actually get to watch them all before Christmas.


There won’t be a proper Weekly Rundown post next week as I’m going to be in Edinburgh enjoying the Christmas market. Things should get back to normal with my posting schedule in the week following that though as NaNo will be over. I’ll let you know what my final word count is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. :-)