Sunday 19 October 2014

Weekly Rundown: The Snotty Edition

I have spent the latter part of this week dying, which may sound like I’m being overdramatic but I can assure you, I am not!

You see, Mr Click started complaining of having caught a cold around a week ago. It kind of came and went a bit before hitting him with full force on Monday. I’d also started getting a scratchy throat but put it down to the fact that I sit right under a heater at work so had been breathing in warm air part of the day.

Meanwhile Mr Click was hanging. Then Wednesday rolled around and he was starting to feel better while I was starting to suffer. That night I managed roughly three hours sleep and aside from looking like a zombie I did a pretty good impression of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer! By Friday I’d revived somewhat but I’m still a wee bit snuffly.

I’m quite pleased to have gotten it out of the way this week rather than next week. Come Saturday I’ll be at my graduation getting some very expensive photos taken and I think they’ll probably look better if my nose isn’t all pink and red!


Speaking of next week. By this time next week I will be at the Zoo! Getting ready to go and see the pandas. I am so excited, possibly even more excited for the Zoo than for the graduation. I’ve spent a little bit of today organising the suitcase and things we’ll be taking with us and I’ll probably repack it another three or four times before Thursday night. And knowing my luck I’ll still forget something!

I’ve been trying to get ahead on the blog because I’m not going to be able to post while I’m away. Having the cold kind of put paid to that, at the moment I’m not sure if I’ll get all of the Series of Unfortunate Events posts written before I go so there might be some gaps in the schedule over the coming fortnight.

One good thing about suffering from a cold and not being able to lay down in bed without your nose bunging up is that you get more reading done. Since last Sunday I’ve started and finished Johnny and the Dead by Terry Pratchett as well as The Adventures of Tom Bombadil by J.R.R. Tolkien. Now I’ve moved onto a set I got Mr Click last year by Laurie R. King, The Beekeeper’s Apprentice. It’s Sherlock Holmes–post Watson, when he’s living in Sussex and meets a teenage girl named Mary Russell who becomes an apprentice of sorts. I’m just a few chapters in at the moment and it’s a chunk of a book but I’m enjoying it thus far.

It does pose a bit of a dilemma in terms of the trip away reading material though. It’s possible that I’ll read all 447 pages before Thursday. It’s equally possible that I won’t finish, which will mean taking away another book. Do I take my Kindle? Which let’s face it, it’s going to be coming with me anyway. Do I start on the next book on my shelf? Which is Neil Gaiman’s Anansi Boys and is as much of a brick as The Beekeeper’s Apprentice is. Do I stop worrying about the reading material I should take and focus on sorting laundry so I actually have underwear to take away with me? Well, yes, that would probably be rather more practical really…

We’re souring through Ripper Street on blu-ray at the moment as well. We’re halfway through so hopefully we’ll finish that just in time to start on the Not-Quite-Christmas Films. I’ve spent the day today watching a random mix of The Day After Tomorrow, half a Harry Potter film, and Strangers on a Train and, as the weather gets colder and the nights get darker, I’m quite looking forward making a start on the slightly more festive faire, something with fewer natural disasters and murders.


Check back tomorrow to see the other thing that I’ve been spending my weekend doing, mainly when I should have been doing blog posts or packing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. :-)