Thursday 19 June 2014

Day Zero Project: See Hobbit films in Glasgow

This one kind of gives away how long it’s been since I made this list because on the original list I’ve got it down as ‘See both Hobbit films in Glasgow’ and as was announced shortly afterwards, they’ve been turned into a trilogy. Had Peter Jackson stuck with duo of films (pair? duology?) then I would’ve completed this challenge task by now.

Photo taken outside my local cinema.
As it happens, it’s in progress, but very much on target. I just have to see the final one in Glasgow and I’ll be three for three.

I’ve also kind of added to this challenge in that I not only want to see each on in Glasgow, I also want to see each one in 3D. So far, so good. I’m actually kind of planning a romantic night away for Mr Click’s birthday, purely with the intention of seeing the final Hobbit film and not having to worry about ferries being disrupted due to winter weather. We’ll see how that goes.

For those people who are new to this blog, who have perhaps joined during the A to Z Challenge or the Road Trip, you might be wondering why going to the cinema in Glasgow is a big deal.

It’s because I live on a small island with a tiny cinema. I’m not kidding. It has less than 90 seats! It did have 90 but one of them is broken. It is a lovely cinema. When I went to see X-Men: Days of Future Past and fell in love with the giant poster featuring a larger-than-life Hugh Jackman, one of the guys who works there went and got me a slightly smaller poster which I was able to take away with me. In the past when I got sick while watching a film and had to leave, they gave us two free tickets to another showing so I could go back and finish watching the film. It’s the little personal touches that you don’t get in the big multiplexes.

All the same. There’s something to be said for seeing a film on the big screen, where the flames leap out at you or a bumblebee seems to hover just in front of your nose. Where the sound doesn’t cut out unexpectedly at a crucial moment (in the second Hobbit film the sound stopped randomly as the Dwarves found the hidden door, partly because the films we get are kind of ‘secondhand’ they’ve been played elsewhere before we get them and sometimes they have little blips).

Plus it means I’m guaranteed a second showing of the film. When we saw the first Hobbit film, I got to see it on the opening night on the island as well. The second one we saw a week later at the local cinema too. Plus I like to go onto TV Trope and IMDB.com to look out information about a film, but I don’t like to spoil myself for what I’m about to see. This way I can watch the film spoiler free (well, as spoiler free as you can be for a film based on a book you’ve read countless times) and then watch it again with all the extra information in the back of my mind.


Fingers crossed I’ll be able to do exactly the same thing this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. :-)