Thursday 22 May 2014

Day Zero Project: Get my eyes checked

I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve had my eyes tested. Mr Click was shocked when we were first married and I revealed that the last time I’d had an eye test was when I was at primary school. I must have been about eight and the school nurse had us stand at one end of the corridor outside the school office with a wooden spoon covering first one eye and then the other, reading a letter chart that she held up at the opposite end of the corridor. That was it.

Since I’ve been with him I’ve been better about it. Plus my job involves working with computers and they stress the importance of having an eye test every couple of years.

Which is how, at my last eye test, I discovered that I have a freckle at the back of my right eye.


I’ve got freckles all over the place, but even I have to admit that it’s a pretty weird place to keep one. Apparently the reason why it’s never been spotted before (aside from my general laxity regarding eye tests) is that it’s in a somewhat awkward position and it’s only recently that they’ve had the equipment to see that far around inside your eyeballs.

This warranted a check up with an ophthalmologist at hospital, who took a nice photo of the inside of my eyeball for me (and even let me keep a copy). And then having to go back six months later to make sure that it wasn’t growing, lest my whole eyeball become one large freckle.

It was a relatively short check up. I got another photo which proved it hadn’t gotten any larger (or smaller for that matter) and so I don’t have to worry about it anymore. I can just have regular eye checks as normal, woo hoo.

And thus far my late night reading in the dark, hours spent staring at computer screens, and preference for crafts which involve working with small and fiddly equipment, has not affected my stellar vision.

Oh, and I’m due another eye test soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. :-)