Sunday 9 March 2014

Weekly Rundown

It's been a bit of a long week here with more than a few late nights so I've been having a well deserved relaxing weekend. Well, fairly relaxing.

Friday night I decided to sit down and hammer out my latest assignment. I've not struggled too much with putting pen to paper for the four previous TMAs but something about this one made it really tricky. I wavered from Option 2 to Option 1 and back again throughout the final two episodes of The Good Life before having a complete meltdown because I didn't know what I was doing.

Thankfully Mr Click chatted things out with me and helped me to formulate not only the basis of my essay but helped me to realise that I did in fact know something which I could use. I sat myself down and over the course of The Sound of Music I was able to churn out 1900-and-something words which gave me a passable start. Since then I've tidied things up a bit as I've typed it out and now I just need to get my references in and format it for submission on Tuesday.


I've also finally had a response from Royal Mail about an on-going problem we've been having with our mail. They seem to think that a book of six First Class stamps is the solution. I was understandably quite miffed about this so I'm gearing myself up to an interesting phone call with them tomorrow. I suspect that it won't make the slightest bit of difference, but I'm going to call them anyway.

As I mentioned last week, my beloved knitting needles are getting seriously worn out, to the point of being virtually unusable. I finally received my new ones that I ordered and gave them to Mr Click to withhold from me until my assignment was complete. As I'd gotten most of it written on Friday and Saturday he let me have them today. So far I've tried out the metal tips and I think I'm in love, they sound like a sword fight when you're knitting with them!

This week I've been getting on top of all of my reading material for the final block of my course. Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve was the first book to arrive, so it was correspondingly the first book I read. It took me a while to get through but I really enjoyed it and I've learned there are more from that series so I'm thinking I might look into getting those once I finish this course and I'm able to go back and read it at my leisure.

I then moved onto Beverley Naidoo's The Other Side of Truth which I devoured in just over two days. I loved it and it was truly heartbreaking in places. It's a book I'm quite looking forward to studying and I'm definitely going to reread it at some point. From there I've moved on to Coram Boy by Jamila Gavin which is different from what I was expecting (though to be honest I'm not really sure what I was expecting from it). It seems to be a bit of a slow burner as I'm six chapters in and it still seems to be setting up the action. I think once it really gets going it's going to be a real page turner.

Once I finish Coram Boy I've just got Melvin Burgess's Junk to read and then I can read whatever I want. I've got the illustrated version of The Lord of the Rings on my bookcase just begging to be read so I think that's what I might have to go for. It'll be nice to go back to reading books just because I want to read them, instead of because my course book tells me I have to.

TV viewing-wise we've come to the end of two of the TV series we've been watching. We finished The Good Life on Friday and will finish ER tonight. ER's taken us nearly a year to watch, although we did have a month-long break from it at Christmas, so it'll be strange not having that before bed each night. Instead we'll be watching The Two Ronnies Complete Collection that I bought Mr Click for Christmas and Criminal Minds that he bought me. It'll be an interesting change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. :-)