Monday 2 September 2013

Gonal-F Injections

Yesterday I wrote about my appointment at the Nuffield last Wednesday when we picked up my meds.

I left off yesterday with us leaving the hospital after having had a scan and a blood test. We'd been told to expect a phone call the following day but when we got onto the ferry at about 6pm I noticed that I had a missed call and a message from G with our results from the blood test. I called back and was given the go-ahead to start the jabs on Friday morning.



I was told to give myself 150iu morning and evening for the first two days and then just once a day after that. I need to leave twelve hours (roughly) between the morning and afternoon so I settled on doing it at 8am and 8pm because that gives me time to get up on the weekend when I like to have a lie-in. So come Friday at 8am I was nervously preparing to stab myself in the belly for the first time.

It's not really that difficult. You remove the pen cap, screw on a needle, turn the dial to the right dosage (for me it's 150iu), push the needle into your skin and then press the button on the end for ten long seconds. There's even an iPhone app complete with videos to help you get it right!

I barely felt the needle going in for the first injection but there's a horrible tuggy sensation when you pull it out; kind of like taking out an earring or having stitches removed. I could've cried when I pulled it out after the first dose and saw it still said 25iu, meaning I'd not given myself the full dose. That meant I had to do it all over again!

I think it was because I didn't press the button down far enough. It kind of goes against all your natural instincts to push something sharp into your belly and then press down on the end of it. But I'm getting the hang of it now and even administered my second dose without Mr Click in the room!

I'm fairly confident with it now though and it just takes a couple of minutes to get it all set up. The photo above shows how I organise it all and usually I have Mr Click standing by with his phone to time me to make sure I'm giving myself the full dose.

I've not really noticed any massive side effects. I've had a couple of twinges in the general ovary area (for some reason it seems to happen soon after I do the jab, but in the opposite side to where I've injected and then the side I've injected into catches up after about fifteen or twenty minutes). I have also been rather more emotional; things that have made me cry, or at least well up slightly, have included people offering me sweets at work, forgetting to take a vitamin and watching the Olympic Opening Ceremony on DVD.

Today we have another scan to see how things are going. We were hoping that with my good AMH results that it wouldn't take too many days of stimulation to get me ready for the next stage. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. :-)