Wednesday 19 June 2013

Music Post: Mean - Taylor Swift

Do you ever find a song that just sort of speaks to your soul?

When I got Taylor Swift's album, Speak Now, I found just one of those songs, Mean. It's a song about being bullied and put down and overcoming that. You've heard the saying 'sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me'; this is about how wrong that statement can be, how hurtful words can be, how sometimes they can feel exactly like someone's pummelling you, and how that can be worse in a way because a bruise in your own mind can take a lot longer to fade than a bruise on your skin.

Today is the anniversary of escaping from a situation just like that, though I don't really think I realised that I felt that way until afterwards when I was seeing a counsellor. This is a great song for that sense of self-empowerment. I dare you to try listening to it turned up as loud as you like and to resist the temptation to sing along to the chorus at the top of your voice. I don't think it can be done. (I particularly enjoy the bit around the three minute mark, it's like musical therapy).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. :-)