Thursday 9 May 2013

Day Zero Project: Buy my husband a pocket trumpet

When Mr Click was umming and ahhing over whether or not to complete his Open University degree by taking one final course, I thought of something to sweeten the deal. A pocket trumpet.

He'd been lusting after them for some time and really really wanted one. He's a talented brass musician and I knew that it was something he would play and cherish but at £300 it wasn't really something we could justify splurging on.

He's always buying me little gifts of picking things up he knows I'll like but I don't really do the same for him. So I got it into my head that I would buy the pocket trumpet for him, as a graduation gift.

As the final months of his course approached I diligently set aside some money each month into my savings account and he diligently studied and passed all of his assignments. As promised, when he passed his final exam, I purchased the pocket trumpet.



For those not in the know, a pocket trumpet is a regular trumpet but slightly smaller. This one has a full-sized bell, it's the full length tubing for a b-flat trumpet but sort of folded up a bit; Mr Click told me that, I don't know much about them other than the fact that it sounds very good.

As well as being proud of Mr Click for achieving what he set out to do, especially knowing the blood, sweat and tears that went into that degree, I'm proud of myself for saving up for the instrument. With my old job that would've been the product of six-weeks' wages; now we're not exactly well off but with careful budgeting we're able to afford little luxuries like new instruments, white goods and a labrador.

Plus it's nice to do something nice for someone you love. This one is definitely a Day Zero Mission accomplished.

2 comments:

Let me know what you think. :-)